Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Part 3: The Premise For Evolution


I was sitting in my shop the other day. We had just finished relocating my office and my daughters bedroom. The child is in her second year of college and we moved into the house when she was in the first grade, and like me nothing had been thrown away. Anyway, everything that was not put in the back of my truck or in the dumpster including what we brought back from the lake, guess where all the extras had landed? You would be right. Not only had we brought in everything from the house and lake but I also had built some extra shelves for storage space in the utility room and in my shop to store the extras. To give you an idea of what size my shop is, it's dimensions are 12x24 and you would think it could hold a lot. Originally the shop had been built to not only hold all my tools that were in the garage but all the parts and paraphernalia that went along with my job. Now that I'm retired all the parts are gone and you would think there would be plenty of room. Well, as you enter the shop and to the right where the parts used to be there are now 3 large coolers, spare parts boxes (like what fishing tackle or screws and nails go into) extra water for the possibility of a hurricane, a couple of window units (in the event we loose power) extra fishing tackle I don't have room for at the lake, extra tile from a remodel 5 years ago, paint both old and new...anyway you get the picture. On the back wall are two twelve foot wire shelves that now hold all the stuff that comes from Sam's (supplies bought in bulk) and under all those shelves, boxes of Southern Living products. At the end of the shelves is a small alcove where all my lawn equipment is stored and on the far wall and the other long wall are a series of work benches. Under the benches are generators and power cables in case we loose power, extra wood from a previous project, and several tools chests. On top the benches everything I couldn't make room for, at least for the time being. Above the benches are more wire shelves and on those - you guessed it, more tools and things that don't fit under or on the bench. Oh, and I almost forgot the table saw, shop vac, the stool I was sitting on, and of course a wooden love seat with vinal covered cushions.
Something I forgot to mention, a while back one of my drawers from one of several tool chests came loose, and in that drawer were boat loads of sockets, you know the kind you use to work on anything that has a bolt or a nut in it. Now I don't have just a quarter inch set, I have everything up to and including a five eights and half inch set. Well being the organized guy that I am I put the drawer back and dumped all the sockets back in. To make matters worse they were both standard and metric. In the rest of those cabinets are pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. You name it I probably have it and over the years the collection has grown. What I'm trying to say is this, I need about a week to go in and re-organize and throw some stuff away. Now I'm sure there is another pack rat out there reading this and having a stoke over the fact I would throw away a tool, but lets face it, a pair of pliers that's rusted shut don't work to well, and a screw diver that's been used as a chisel doesn't work to well either. Then there's the drawers of nails, screws and an assortment of, (I can't throw that away because I might be able to use it some day). Now you can see why I was just sitting there.
Now I know you all are wondering, where in the world is he going with this? Its very simple really, I was hoping for an event much like the big bang theory to take place, you known blow the whole place up and then hope when all the pieces of my shop came down they fall back into place including all my tools and everything else that I had stacked in there, then I wouldn't have to mess with it. Bad grammer, yes, but you get my point.
Sounds a little ridiculous doesn't it, but it makes about as much sense as the other example used and that would be blowing up a print shop and have the complete unabridged Webster's dictionary appear after all the dust settles. But if you look at evolution you'll see these examples fit perfectly and you'll see why as we continue.
One theory states...Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so. The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.
The other theory states... There is no truly "standard model" of the origin of life. But most currently accepted models build in one way or another upon a number of discoveries about the origin of molecular and cellular components for life, which are listed in a rough order of postulated emergence: and they go on with what they think may have happened.
Now I haven't proven anything, all I have done is put forth two theories. But in the next article we're going to take a closer look at what both sides have to say, and I think you will find the results very interesting. Before we close this article out we need to look at the word "premise" to see what it actually means. Here are all the words the thesaurus brought up. Premise is the basis, principle, idea, foundation, argument, hypothesis, assertion, ground, thesis, or presupposition. To some up this article we could say that we are looking for an argument that supports our theories.
Darwin's premise was - complex creatures evolve from more simplistic ancestors naturally over time
Creation's premise is - In the beginning God created.
In the next article we'll look at the two premises, but in the mean time I'd like to get back to my examples. Both of them either demonstrate chance or the lack of organization. Are we a product of chance, of a disorganised random set of circumstances, or were we part of a well organized plan? Follow along with me as we continue to examine the question, Where did we come from?

No comments: